Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I WANNA BE THE BEE

When I was little I remember reading an article about bumble bees and how they shouldn't be able to fly because it was aerodynamically "impossible," but, for some reason, they could. I liked that story. I wanted to be the bee. To do things I wanted to do even if someone told me I couldn't. Years later, an article came out saying that scientists discovered that bees actually were built for flight -- something the bees already knew. I liked that story even better.

So many of us listen to others rather than listening to ourselves. Why? Who should know better than me what I am capable of achieving? Instead, for more years than I care to think about, I let family, friends, and complete strangers -- most with only the best intentions -- set my limits. I allowed strangers to mold my life!! As I look back now, I just shake my head. I have absolutely no one to blame but myself. However, rather than focus on what I didn't do or become angry at lost opportunities, I am going to look forward. I am going to set my limits ... or not. I am going to BE THE BEE.

That mindset, I hope, will help me over the next few months as I continue to struggle (and, yes, I am indeed struggling right now) with losing weight. Even more importantly, it will help me fight any other battles that crop up in my life. I would love to hear advice from others and will incorporate whatever feels right to me. That said, I will try not to be dissuaded from doing something because someone else doesn't think I could or should do it.

I have a wonderful, wonderful friend who, when she is very frustrated with me, will say, "...but you will do what you want to do anyway!" She's right. I will. ... and who better to decide what is right for me than me??

BE THE BEE.

No comments:

Post a Comment